Monday, February 25, 2013

Oscars Review 2013

Oh, Oscars. I just can't keep away. I was tempted to this year with Seth MacFarlane hosting, but I actually think he did a pretty okay job. I can't talk about how upset I am about what's-her-name winning for Best Supporting Actress, but at least she had on a horrible dress. Plus, "Life of Pi" won a few awards, and that made me so happy!

But on to the dresses. I know that's why you're here. Those whom I'm disappointed didn't make the list - Selma Hayek, Nicole Kidman, Naomi Watts - how could you let me down? You had such potential. Oh well.

First those in no particular order that I liked before we get to the top 3.

Reese Witherspoon
She picked a great color. And the black detailing on the sides is very flattering. Love the train, love the hair, love the simplicity of the whole look.
 
Sandra Bullock
One of the few gowns with sleeves! Yes, I will always get excited about that. I love black. I love beading. I love Ms. Bullock. Therefore, I love this. {Not sure about the placement of her hair ornament but oh well.}
 
Amy Adams
I'm not going to lie. I wasn't sure about Ms. Adams's dress at first glance. But it definitely grew on me. The fit is fantastic {which is key with strapless gowns in my opininon}. And I love the detailing on the bodice. I just wish the color was a bit brighter.
 
Queen Latifah
One of my repeaters - because she knows how to do it right! I love the white. It just looks so fresh. Plus, the great details of the shoulder beading and the ruffle on the skirt add more interest without making it too fussy.
 
Sally Field
Why do I like this look? Well, for one, she has sleeves. And two, her dress hints at the time period of her character. I love when people do that. The dress is a great color, age-appropriate, and on-trend with the train.
 
Stacy Keibler
I'm not necessarily a fan of Ms. Keibler {I know next to nothing about her}, but I really love her dress. She's one of those tall, in-shape women who look great in full-length, clingy dresses. I like the pattern of the beading, the halter top, and the belt. And, her date wasn't too shabby either.
 
Jennifer Lawrence
Okay, confession. I don't actually love Ms. Lawrence's dress overall. The top sits in a weird spot, and I don't love the shape. But. I do like the quilting{?} on the fabric and the color. And. I love her. Anyone who trips up the stairs to accept an award and then still delivers a humble, heart-felt speech deserves to be recognized.
 
Now, time for my top three favorite dresses of the evening.
 
#3 - Jennifer Hudson
Ms. Hudson appeals to me. I don't know why. I never watched "American Idol" and I never saw "Dreamgirls". Really, I've only ever seen her Weight Watchers commercials. But I usually always love what she's wearing. She's another statuesque lady who looks great in gowns. The beading/pattern {not sure which it is} is different and fun. Also, I personally believe navy is under-utilized on the red carpet. It looks fabulous!
 
#2 - Jessica Chastain
This was another gown that I didn't love right off. But the more I looked at it, the more I fell in love. For one thing, it perfectly complements her complexion and hair. It's hard to tell from this photo, but it has a beaded overlay on top of a copper sheath. Also, I love her hair down and soft. The overall effect is stunning.
 
And my #1?
 

Jennifer Garner
Ms. Garner has done well overall this awards season. And right before I saw Ms. Garner, I had see a bunch of bombs. Then she walked on camera - a vision in plum and ruffles and diamonds. I just love all of it. Every single bit. Really. It's beautiful. I just hope she is in something that gets nominated next year so we can have another look at her all dolled up.
 
And lest we forget the men . . .
 
Samuel L. Jackson
Wearing what I considered to be the most entertaining outfit of the whole night. Thanks, Mr. Jackson.
 
And my kryptonite
 
Hugh Jackman
In a tux. Yes, please.
 
Until next awards season.

1 comments:

Dasha said...

Didn't love Jennifer Lawrence's dress at first either but it's definitely growning on me. She's just so awesome. And did you see that Naomi Watts and Nicole Kidman are on all these best-dressed lists? What in the world? Glad you could come over to watch with me! It was good times.