Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Best Way to Start Your Day

About a year ago, I had my cholesterol checked because my doctor thought it would be good to know my numbers, have a baseline, etc. Turns out - gasp! - I have high cholesterol. I know, I was surprised too.

So, for a year I have been eating oatmeal for breakfast almost everyday. I don't hate oatmeal, but I sure don't love it either. However, I've been trying to make some positive changes to try to improve my health. I looked forward to this year's blood test with an odd excitement.

Take two. I went in for my annual physical and got my cholesterol checked again. This time my numbers improved {yea!}, but {boo!} I still have high cholesterol. Blast. But I decided to keep eating my oatmeal because maybe it will help, and it's sort of become a habit I don't want to break. At least not yet. And it's sure better than eating the donut I would rather have everyday.

Then I find out that October 29th is National Oatmeal Day - a day I may never have noticed in the past. And guess what I had for breakfast today?

Toast.

1 comments:

Becky and Mike said...

You're like my mom--no matter what she does, she has high cholesterol. As my sister says, "It's not my fault I'm from a crappy gene pool."