Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Love Story

It's time for love stories, right? I mean, that is the best part of Valentine's Day - having a love story that you love and getting a chance to share it.

So . . . until I have a love story of my own to share, I'm glad that there are others I can turn to, whether they're real or not, for pure enjoyment. Here are just a few.

One that I love is between Knox Overstreet and Chris Noel in "Dead Poets Society". It's a sweet and simple high school love story, but I absolutely adore the earnestness and pure devotion Knox shows towards Chris. And of course, their story is made better by overcoming the tragic conflict they face {prep vs. public school; one is already dating someone - quel horror!}. And I'm sorry, but how can you not just love Knox?

"The point, Charlie, is that she was thinking about me. I've only met her once, and already she's thinking about me. Damn it. It's gonna happen, guys. I feel it. She is going to be mine."



Another great love story to enjoy is that of Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick. Yes, I love them. And I love their love story. They are one of the rare long-lasting Hollywood marriages, and yet, they are so not Hollywood {if you know what I mean}. I still remember reading a feature article about them in a 1998 issue of InStyle Magazine where one of them said that the best thing you can give your kids is to love your spouse. I love seeing how they love and respect each other and geniunely love being with each other. I happen to follow Mr. Bacon on Twitter, and it's pretty sweet how he gushes over his wife.


I can't not mention the love story between Laura Ingalls and Almanzo Wilder. Growing up I loved watching "Little House on the Prairie" and seeing all the cool adventures Laura had. I pretty much wanted to be her. And then Almanzo showed up, and he was all frontier-sy and handsome and manly {wink wink}. And then they fell in love {after she had aged an appropriate amount, thank heavens} and got married! I wanted to be Laura even more, living with my Manly on our farm with our kids and dogs. Happily ever after.


The last love story I want to share is a really cool one. These two 19 year-old kids from Idaho met in college, stayed in touch over the years, and finally got their act together and got married. Seven kids later {I'm #6}, and they're still going strong. One of my favorite parts of their love story is when my dad informally asked my mom to marry him. They were dancing {I know, right!} at her house, and he stopped, looked at her, and said, "Marry me." And she said, "Okay. When?" Regardless of what my future holds, this will always be a favorite love story of mine.

 
Happy Valentine's Day.
 
What's one of your favorite love stories?

1 comments:

Jan said...

Jacob & Sarah in "Sarah, Plain & Tall". I think she fell in love with his kids first. :)